Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Book Review: Janitors: Curse of the Broomstaff ~ by Tyler Whitesides




Janitors: Curse of the Broomstaff by Tyler Whitesides
Rating: 4 of 5 stars
Genre: Middle Grade Fantasy
Source: Received to review

Book Description: A secret society of Janitors with wizard-like powers continue their battle, and now, the stakes are even higher. The Bureau of Educational Maintenance is after Alan Zumbro and this time they mean business, deadly business. Spencer, Daisy, and their little team of rebels must find the source of all magical Glop and destroy it before it can destroy the world as we know it. No small task with the BEM and their monster toxites at their heels. It s a wild and dangerous ride as they follow the trail of clues all the way to the hiding place of the mysterious aurans: guardians of a secret landfill. What they discover there will change the way Spencer sees himself, not to mention the fate of the rebels.

My thoughts:  I didn't have time to get to the first books like I had planned, so I started with the third.  I had to ask my son a few times about characters and general plot points.

Basically this is a series written for middle grade readers.  The janitor's are the bad guys. They are part of a secret organization that plans to take over the world by stopping the education of children.  They use fantastical janitorial equipment to fight against those trying to stop them.

Spencer Zumbro is a kid who is an intrinsical person to stopping the Janitors.  He has had a special soap put into his eyes so he can see toxites, magical creatures that stop kids from paying attention in class.  They try to stop them from learning.

Spencer and his friends use tools, including their own janitorial equipment, to outsmart the organization and keep kids learning.  They plan to save the future.

This book is very creative.  It uses equipment which children are familiar with in ways that are not normal.  It helps to spark imagination.  I believe that most kids have thought that the janitor at their school is scheming against them.  This takes that thought to a whole new level.  I work at a Junior High and the janitor likes to sneer at me all the time (in a friendly way).  I could see how kids could take looks of frustration to a new plane of imagination. (I know it's just her way of saying "hi" and that she can't wait until the day is over!)

My next goal is to actually read the first two books.  My son would be so proud and I think he would like to be able to talk to me about them. :)







My 10 year old son loves the Janitor's series.  They are his favorite books. I have asked him in the past why he loves them so much, his response is always "because they are awesome."  I knew that if I didn't accept this book to read, I would never hear the end of it.  It helps that I wanted to see why he likes them so much.  As a bonus to this review, I am going to have my son share why he loves the Janitor's books so much!
********************
Caleb's Thoughts: I really like the action in the janitor series.I like how it brings ordinary janitors' into good and evil warlocks.I like how Dez the bully is brought into the story of ordinary kids who are trying to stop the evil janitors who are trying to take over the world by getting rid of education.And how Spencer finds his dad of all the time they haven't seen each other.
                                       

********************
About Tyler Whitesides: Tyler Whitesides worked as a janitor at an elementary school to put himself through college. He graduated from Utah State University with a degree in music. In addition to writing novels, Tyler is an avid composer and arranger of instrumental music. He and his wife, Connie, who teaches third grade, live in northern Utah.



Janitors, Book 1

No one takes Spencer Zumbro seriously when he tried to warn his classmates about the mysterious things prowling the halls and classrooms of Welcher Elementary School. But when he sees Marv, the janitor, going after one of the creatures with a vacuum, he knows he's not the only one who can see them.

With the help of his new friends, Daisy, Spencer has to find out what the janitors know. The children's search uncovers the magic taking place behind the scenes of their seemingly ordinary school, where a battle is being waged for the minds of the students. Who can be trusted – and can Spencer and Daisy protect their school and possibly the world?


Janitors, Book 2: Secrets of New Forest Academy

No one takes Spencer Zumbro seriously when he tries to warn his classmates about the mysterious things prowling the halls and classrooms of Welcher Elementary School. But when he sees Marv, the janitor, going after one of the creatures with a vacuum, he knows he's not the only one who can see them. With the help of his new friend, Daisy, Spencer has to find out what the janitors know. The children's search uncovers the magic taking place behind the scenes of their seemingly ordinary school, where a battle is being waged for the minds of the students. Who can be trusted – and can Spencer and Daisy protect their school and possibly the world?

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like such an awesome series. I have the first book on my Kindle. I'm thinking I'll read it with my 11 year old daughter, as she would like it too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.